Remember me: 
Signin using your Gmail or Yahoo account signin using google or yahoo

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
IIT JEE toppers interviews and tips 
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

Post IIT JEE toppers interviews and tips
Friends,

I found a collection of interviews from IIT JEE toppers on the web. I am pasting them here. there are two intentions for me in pasting them here:

1. to help you people
2. to bring my name to the top in the front page of myengg.com

I'll also give the links to the urls from which I have posted each of those interviews/ tips. I don't think i deserve a thanks from you people, as what i am doing is just copypaste work.
Note: it is worth bookmarking this topic. save it and go through the posts whenever you need inspiration during your preperation. Very valuable advices from IITIANs are presented here.
Note: All the posts below are not interviews from IITIANs, some of them are from IIT Lecturers, some of them from Parents of IIT students, Some of them from the IIT aspirants like you, some of them from the students who have wasted their XIIth and offering their experience as a lesson to us

Last edited by neversaydie on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:13 pm
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

Post Re: IIT JEE toppers interviews and tips
This interview is from a guy who has cracked JEE wayback in the last millenium. I am surprised to see that the most of the books we use today are the ones that were used more than a decade back.

I got this from http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Success ... 214-1.html

I cracked the IIT-JEE in my first attempt back in 1998 and secured an all-India rank of 713 (general category). I guess that qualifies me to advise wannabe IIT grads.

I will begin with some general
advice. One very important factor for achieving success is focus. That means maximum time and effort should go into preparing for IIT-JEE. Board exams cannot be top priority. Nor can be any other engineering entrance exam. If you want to be a B.Tech. from an IIT, then you HAVE to make the IIT-JEE top priority. And forget about any taking medical entrance exams. As they say, it is not wise to keep two feet on two different boats.

Now, I will deal with each subject separately. Of course, before that, an important caveat: know your syllabus. Do not waste any time on material that is out of syllabus. Why on earth would you, huh?

Let’s tackle Physics first. The textbooks that one should follow are HC Verma and Resnick & Halliday. Unless you are exceptionally bright, it is not a bright idea to start attempting problems from Irodov right away. You will not be able to make head or tail of them and will just be wasting time. Attempt the problems of HC Verma for a start. It has a set of problems that are of adequate difficulty and attempting them will keep paying good dividend, even at the end of your preparation. Get the material from Brilliant Tutorials and solve the given assignments regularly. After some time, switch over to Irodov. You could do this, say, 6 months after the beginning of your 2-year preparation-span.

We shall move on to Maths now. Start off with the textbook prescribed for your board. The next stage, which you can start about 2-3 months after day 0, consists of attempting ML Khanna and assignments from Brilliant Tutorials. After about 6-7 months, you should purchase your copy of TMH (Tata-McGraw Hill) for Math.

Last but not the least, we come to Chemistry. This was most scoring for me and it could be for you too. RC Mukherjee contains a good collection of numericals on Physical Chemistry. OP Agarwal’s book is worth a buy. It covers the entire syllabus on chemistry comprehensively. You can read Morrison and Boyd for some fundas on Organic Chemistry but be careful not to venture out of syllabus (because this book reads like a story).

Now, for some more general tips. Judiciously choose a group of friends who want to crack the IIT-JEE. This peer group will keep you well abreast of the goings-on that you need to know about. Like for example, some book from a new author could perhaps be a better buy than the books I have mentioned above. Of course, do not fall into the trap of collecting too much extra material and then be at a loss what to do with all of it.

Best of luck..

Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:16 pm
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

Good tips from a experianced guy. not sure if he is an IITian

got this from http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Success ... 301-1.html

Most people think that IIT JEE is very difficult examination. However, JEE is only a different examination.
One thing certain is IIT JEE requires a very systematic preparation. Earlier you start preparing
for it the better.
JEE defers from conventional board exams in one major way. JEE tests your fundamentals of the subject and your ability to think logically and analytically.
To begin with, you must arrange for professional guidance, if you do not have one available at home. Secondly, practice of solving JEE level problems being of paramount importance, you must have access to enough recommended books / notes.
(1) You can get join postal / classroom coaching.
(2) You can try and get old postal coaching material from students who have appeared for JEE recently.
(3) Buy or have access to various reference books for the subjects. (Lists are available on the net.)
Getting yourself motivated and keeping up the tempo is not easy. Load of HSC and JEE together can be very tough. So, if you are convinced read a lot about IITs, understand why you want to be in IIT and prepare for long, systematic preparations for it.
I would recommend you should start preparing for JEE, immediately after Xth, if you have not started earlier!
Added Later
The IITJEE is the Joint Entrance Examination conducted by the IITs for admission in the six IITs , ITBHU and ISM Dhanbad.
The IITJEE is aimed at selecting the best candidates from the country .It is considered the most competitive examination after 12th standard. About 2.5 % of the total students, appearing, are able to get through (entry ratio is even less than that of Stanford University!).
The entrance examination consists of :
A Screening Test of 3 hour duration in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry with equal weightage for all the subjects. The Screening Test will have objective type questions which are to be answered on the specially designed machine-gradable sheet using HB pencils.
The Main Examination of three separate papers in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry, each of two-hour duration, for those who qualify in the Screening Test.
The screening paper is usually scheduled in first week of January and the mains in first week of May. Only those students who got short listed in screening are allowed to appear in the Mains.
The general norm is that the JEE is a difficult examination and the questions are complex and tough. This is not true. It is merely a different exam. It examines your basic concepts, logical aspects and your ability to apply fundamentals to multi-conceptual problems. All it requires is a proper examination temperament and different approach to the subject than most of the other exams. Added to this, it also tests your ability to work efficiently without getting pressures in. It is also a test of your psychology. To solve the typical JEE like problems you have to think in many dimensions.
However, The question papers of JEE are most involved as compared to any other similar competitive examination. The process of formation of JEE paper is pretty complex. Questions are invited from various professors from different IITs. From this list, few questions are finalized, so the professor himself doesn’t know whether his question is there or not. All the possible solutions of questions are also made. The result of mains exam is declared in about 20 days from the day of examination.
To have optimum success & avoid failing one has to develop excellent examination temperament besides knowledge of the subject and problem solving skills.
What is needed for the IIT-JEE is :
An analytical mind and planned strategic approach.
Students with high IQ level can extract the information from the teacher even in a large group, plethora of books and study material available. Other students get confused due to flood of information and study material. One needs to have a definite plan with well defined helps and sources of information to produce optimum results. Students normally neglect Chemistry which is most scoring and do not pursue Physics in a proper way. Preparing Physics for the JEE needs more attention besides acquiring highly polished analytical skills. To help you with these things see all the topics of this site and I assure you that if they are probably followed , they will bring a big difference in your rank and hence life and career.
Hard work is indispensable for JEE. If you are intelligent that’s good but intelligence alone is NOT going to get you in IIT. I have seen many people who are very intelligent and because of their intelligence they overestimate themselves and study less and end up getting a low rank in JEE. But I am not saying that any hard working person can make it to IIT. You need a certain degree of caliber but need not be a genius.
The second most important requirement is guidance. Hard work is bow, intelligence is arrow and guidance gives you the direction of target. Then only your arrow will hit JEE’s target.
Third thing is motivation. Nobody can force you to study for IIT. For working so hard for IIT you need a lot of motivation. Most (almost all) of the top rankers study for the whole two years single heartedly for JEE. For these 2 years they leave all their comforts for JEE. Like Arjun, you must only see JEE (the eye of bird) and nothing else
The fourth thing is Temperament. Temperament plays a vital role for success at IIT-JEE. Nervousness can decrease performance to such an effect that a student getting expected to get a top rank in JEE, fails to even qualify. Solving full papers, preferably in exam atmosphere can improve your temperament. Test series offered by some classes could be of help. If you do not have access to such series, try solving old papers with alarm set and correct it from solutions available.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:19 pm
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

A solid answer that answer many questions:

http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Success ... 277-1.html

Before anything, answer one question very honestly,not to me but to yourself, Are you sure you want to do this ?
I can see a lots of eyebrows arching. Yeah, we all do think or shall i say like
to project we are good and couple it with the pride factor involved, lots of misinformed students choose the wrong option when they have to make a choice.
Guess why 147,000 jee aspirants remain aspirants every year.Agreed that a lots of them could have done it with better preparation/luck, but make a conservative estimate , how many?
Does make you wonder why waste your time when you can do much better in a field closer to your heart, not pride.

So the point of the whole discussion is that at the time when you have to make a choice be a bit realistic. Assess yourself properly(self analysis plz) , look deep and hard inside yourself and your capabilities and say, yes i can do it and get down to business.

How to do it?

I have seen both the sides, being unsuccessful in jee and then being successful. So perhaps i can give a more detailed account of the sure shot methods. I attribute all my success to my great teachers and perhaps most of the matter in this piece must have originated in their mouths.

The most factor is how you control your mind. Its very easy to get the list of inf amount of books and bury yourself in it, if you are a strong believer of this approach you can very conviniently leave this article at this point.

The following is what i was told and did, lets hope it works for you too.

*Start Early

One of the most vital things about successful jee preparations is the ’’Early lead factor’’. Start as early as possible.Get the most basic point right at this stage itself,it is a rat race and what better than gaining a lead when all others are still sleeping.

* All that clutters is rubbish

Lets take the simple path. Remove the pile of heavy books make sure they gather enough dust until you are sure that the world has finally ended. Select a time tested single reliable source and trust it until you get enough reasons not to. See, it is tempting and fashionable to take the fancy names among your peers but again think hard, what purpose does it serve?

* Set you priorities right

I love watching the great time waster called cricket. I love chatting on telephone, i love attending 10 -15 day long marriage functions...hold on please. I told you, set your priorities in a clear well defined hierarchy. Occasional departures are most welcome, take care it doesn’t become regular enough. Remember you immediate goal.

* Planning has to be FOOLPROOF

Spend hours, days or even a month, but get this one 100% right.
It falters you falter. Take into care all the factors and constraints that you might encounter, and again be aware of what you can and cannot do. Can’t elaborate much as it is highly situation specific. In general a plan which gives you enough buffer time and is made taking into account your strengths/weaknesses and the current trends, is the best.

* Study, revise,revise,revise.....relax

Revise to the extent of feeling the taste of it in you blood. Don’t forget relaxation.Yeah set your priorities about the topics as well.

* Go for the real thing

Actual exam situation practice tests are an absolute necessity. Spend some money please. Do avoid the kinds which in the name of their reputation of being ’’tough’’, become outrageous. See the jee pattern, its getting simpler and simpler. You just need to get your fundamentals right.So why go for solving draconian problems. The idea is you have to attain maximum accuracy and conversion rate,i.e. you develop an eye to select the doable questions as quickly as possible from the question papers and once into it, do it correctly. An intelligent testseries helps you do this.
*Simplicity Rules

This is the toughest part.Developing a mindset which is trained to take the simple route,always,is a tough job. Once done,the battle is won.Lots of factors affect it. Right from the kind of guidance you have, kind of study circle, kind of books you follow....Just be aware always that every problem has a simple solution, if it doesn’t have then chances are that you won’t be able to solve it in those 3 pressure hours.

* The Art of Relaxation

Needs to practised anywhere and everywhere. You need to relax to bring out the best...even inside those 3 hours. Meditation techniques and regular counselling with someone you trust goes a long long way.

IS coaching necessary?

You might be wondering why i’m talking about this so late, because this is how i feel. It is a personal choiceand a risky one too. Get in good hands and you don’t have to worry,else god help you. Hence for once do go by the teacher/institute’s reputation.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:22 pm
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

Manas Bajaj has to be thanked for this post. He prepares us mentally. this is more important that any preperation strategies

got it from http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Success ... 409-1.html

I think the title of this review says it all. More often than not, we mess things up because we are not organized in our thoughts. You may have scores of ideas to experiment and try out but what matters
is careful inspection and the perseverance to sort them.

I think this is the major philosophy for acing IIT JEE (or any goal in life), where I use the word ’’acing’’ for good performance (to me, acing is to be used for both a 210 AIR as well as 500 AIR : The difference in their ranks can be luck).

During my preparation, I did get down to following this to some extent but I was messy with ideas. I had them all but I didn’t organize them as elegantly as I had the brains to do.

In a typical entrance examination like IIT JEE, you would have bunch of text to be read, loads of tutorials and hundreds of sample questions. Here is what you need to do:

-- Cultivate the habbit of organizing the way you work.

-- Keep record of what you attempt and where you failed. If an approach doesn’t work, investigate why?

-- When reading from multiple sources, try to correlate, merge information that is common and add the different pieces. Keep a log of all ’’atypical’’ things that you learn any day.

-- Proceed in parallel with all the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics)

-- It is really important for the brain to function fast and smart. For this, don’t lock yourself in your study throughout the day. I would suggest, run a mile or two or go to the gym or do some physical activity that refreshes your thinking.

-- To me, concentration was the gravest of all issues. The lack of concentration is due to an agitated mind. Always try to calm yourself down. Relax your muscles when you are reading things. Time yourself when you work, to test and improve your efficiency.

-- Have a game plan and foster competition with fellow mates. Try to learn tricks to problems solving from different sources, see how your friends approached the problem and keep compiling all of these in a log. A couple of days before the exams, you should be just brushing these logs.

-- Lastly and most importantly, believe in yourself. You have got it and you can do it. All it needs is some committment. Come on ! you are good at it. arent you ??

Best of Luck...

Manas

Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:30 pm
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

A class X student at the time of writing this, but has a maturity level that one needs to get into IITs:

got it from http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Success ... 972-1.html

My big hello to the smart guys out there,searching for reviews on IIT-Jee preparation...which most people think is thedifficult Examination in India..And spend loads of valuable money in caoching
institutions and study materials.

Actually I am nobody to advise you guyz ..I am also a class X student preparing smartly for IIT 2005.

As I have seen most of the coaching centers and heard about them from my friends,I know what they are..Except a few, others are just a waste of money..

A sure way of preparing for IIt will be to study smartly for
XI and XII and give more importance on fundamentals..
I have ben referring to the XI std books from the starting of my vacation..It’s pretty simple to understand..

And there are some very very good books which you can read ,
and if you have mastered them,,I will guarantee u a seat in IIT..

To name a few,

Physics
Fundamentals Of Physics -Resnick and Halliday.(It is a great book ..Try to get the latest edition as it is more friendly and there are some wonderful problems in it.)

Concepts of Physics -HC Verma9The state of the art book

Problems in Physics - I E Irodov(Class problems)

Mathematics
Co-ordinate geometry,Plane trigonometry,Vectors- S L Loney( U just cant find a better book

IIT mathematics -Khanna and Sharma.(Complete the Book)

Chemistry
IIT Chemistry -OP Agarwal (Easily Understandable)
Organic Chemistry-Morrison and Boyd(Beauty of a book)

And ye guys..If there is any one who is preparing for IIT .
U have a friend here ..Mail me -s_ranga_jl@yahoo.co.in

If anyone of you have finished your IIT JEE ,and if u still possess your books,Please give them to me..I will be truly grateful for them..

Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:32 pm
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

An interview from a parent of a successful student

http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Success ... 972-1.html

Dear brilliant friends,
Here I am once again on important and most demanded topic as it’s my earnest desire that number of successful students be increased and more IITs be opened as per our Govt.
plans towards quality education. The IIT-JEE is (Joint Entrance Examination for IITs) conducted by the IITs for admission in the seven IITs and ITBHU (Yes, Govt.is thinking over making this number to 12 as per rediff news). Screening Test has been introduced since yr. 2000 to drop out candidates with casual attitude. Dear friends, I wish to mention here with great pride that my son studied hard (self- study and correspondance course) and got AIR 320 in the yr.2000 at the same yr. of his XIIth Board exam. getting 98% for his PCM group. (Refer my review - ’’How to choose IITs’’ for candidates called for counselling at IITs after passing JEE).

As I gather so far most of the people think that IIT JEE is very difficult competitive examination. Yes, it is competitive and different exam. Be sure that IIT- JEE requires a very systematic preparation and determination with continuous hard work with no excuses of Board exam or family problems etc.which can be sorted out by co-operation of family members. Earlier you start preparing for it the better. Keep in mind that IIT-JEE is totally different from traditional pattern of board exams where success can be achieved with lots of mugging. IIT-JEE tests your fundamentals of the subject and your capacity to think logically and analytically.

Students may arrange for proper guidance (My son depended on self-study and correspondance courses not to waste time). Then practice of solving JEE level problems is must (My son practiced Brilliant Tutorials and FIITJEE papers (two yr.integrated course) sometimes bunking tests of Brilliant being on the same days). Students need to have access to enough recommended books including reference books. For this consult senior IITians with good AIRs (All India Ranks). Students can join classroom coaching wherever possible ( It may be of great help provided it is supported by devoted self-study). Try to get second-hand postal coaching material (which may be in addition to what you have newly subscribed for) from students who have appeared for JEE recently. Purchase or contact good Library to have access to various reference books . I had purchased each and every book my son needed. At the end of this review I have given list of Books.

HSC exam. and JEE together is felt very tough and minimum one of the family members should be involved helping student to keep health and moral support though not doing duty of teacher or of driver every day. So, if students have true ambition,collect info.about IITs from net or parents of successful students/ successful students who have gone through whole procedure with great involvement keeping zeal. Understand why you want to be in IIT and prepare systematically,strategically as this is examination of elimination rather than selection as limited seats (3000+) are available. I would recommend to start preparing for JEE, immediately after Xth.and more earlier is the better. My son was good at Maths and attended Bhaskaracharya Pratishthan classes for Maths Olympiad and was successful upto Regional level while he missed INMO (National level) exam (he could solve 3 problems out of 6 and one more would have declared him successful). Yes, I kept full interaction with my son and hope all parents should keep to bring up their kids. This doesn’t mean unnecessary advising. Their problem is parents’ problem always...may be matter of health or exam.

From about 1,00,000 candidates 15000 candidates are selected at screening test (objective type exam)...Then 3000+ are selected at final (subjective paper) exam. SC/ST candidates have reservations. The IIT-JEE is selecting the best candidates from the country. It is highly recognised by Universities abroad. Students can get practice for screening test by attending postal coaching (mostly arrangements are made in main towns)/classroom coaching tests. Total no.of questions, marks per question and method of negative marking varies every yr as same pattern is not followed. The Main Exam. has three papers of maths, physics and chemistry, each of two-hours duration. Here I wish to mention that colour of paper e.g.blue/ yellow/white shouldn’t make difference and students (of age 17+) should not get confused or disturbed by colour change. I heard one student at the centre saying,’’ Err, they changed Maths paper colour and I was used to blue colour for maths...so I got confused...and could not solve more than even one problem.’’ (Of course this was after-thought). Blue was the colour while practicing tests taken by his postal coaching organisors.

JEE exam. tests students’ clarity of basic concepts, logical aspects with ability to apply fundamentals to problems. It requires special analytical approach to solve the typical JEE like problems thinking in many dimensions like one has to at Olympiads. Here I emphasise that my son was successful due to his studies for Maths Olympiad.

Brilliance with high ambition, determination and keeping temperament make final goal as only IIT-JEE. For this student/parents may have to forget worldly matters for two yrs. Parents’ role is also important to keep students cool and comfortable upto the mark. Solving full papers in exam like conditions (with stop-watch/alarm) can improve your capacity/speed. Timely test series offered by some classes could be of help. Try solving old papers in exam.like condition at home and check from solutions available. Treat Solutions as your Gurus if no teacher is at your help easily available.
----------------------------------------
Last but not least- My son used following Books-

Physics-
Fundamentals Of Physics -Resnick and Halliday (Reference Book).
Concepts of Physics - HC Verma

Problems in Physics -
I E Irodov (Must solve problems)

Mathematics-
Co-ordinate geometry, Plane trigonometry,Vectors- S L Loney (These were Olympiad Books),
IIT-JEE-Maths- Tata Mc-grow-Hill
IIT mathematics -M.L.Khanna ( After finishing Tata my son referred this)

Chemistry-
IIT Chemistry -OP Agarwal (My son finished this book by Nov.of XIIth)
Organic Chemistry-Morrison and Boyd (Reference Book after studying OP)
---------------------------------
BEST OF LUCK FRIENDS. BE SUCCESSFUL AND M2M ME.
ALWAYS SHARE YOUR SUCCESS WITH OTHERS TO MAKE THE WORLD MORE HAPPY PLACE TO LIVE IN.

© Mrs.Medha.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:33 pm
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

Another interview from an IITian from the last millenium

I had prepared for IIT-JEE more than 10 years ago - but those anxious, tiring, depressing and exciting days are still fresh in my mind. I can confidently say that I did many right things about my JEE preparation,
but today I also know what I did wrong.

IIT-JEE is all about depth rather than breadth. The syllabus itself actually doesn’t extend anything beyond +2 levels. But what the JEE testers want the student to have is a complete feel for the subjects and some amount of Mathematical ingenuity.

Let me start with the coaching part. This is where I was really wrong. I was of the opinion that coaching is not required at all - it wasn’t really over-confidence on my part, but basically I did not like the way that coaching institutes operate (atleast during those days).

Coaching is essential - you may have a lot of talent and great grasping power, but direction and guidance from someone who understands the challenge is a must. Coaching centres typically have lectures everyday which repeat the same stuff that that is taught in school - this is what I don’t think is required if you are studying your +2 in a decent school/college. I believe a good JEE coaching institution serves the following purposes:
1. Giving direction - making sure the student is learning the right stuff with the required depth.
2. Clarifying doubts - Since the required understanding is deeper, the kind of questions that will arise are different from what would at school.
3. Giving assignments and other material - to help the student in his understanding.
4. Conducting model tests periodically so that the student gets a good feedback on his/her progress.

Having daily classes is not required - 3 sessions a week (one per subject) and one round of tests every 2-3 months is good enough.

Books:

They are going to be a very important part of your personal preparation. Choose good ones - not the ones that intend to prepare you for any examination. The ones I used 10 years back were:

Physics:
The 2 volumes by Resnick and Halliday,
CBSE text books for XI and XII classes,
I.E. Irodov’s problems in physics.

Chemistry:
O P Agarwal’s Organic Chemistry,
CBSE text books for XI and XII classes,
Sarin and Sarin for problems in Chemistry,

Mathematics:
M.L Khanna’s IIT Mathematics.

Personal preparation:

This is going to be the most critical part. JEE preparation basically consists of putting every effort to understand the concepts - while attending classes at school, while attending your coaching sessions, while solving exercises and while reading your books.

Start your preparation early - atleast 18 months before the D-day. Chew the fundas slowly, giving them ample time to digest. Solve plenty of problems to re-inforce your understanding. Revise frequently. Take a day off every week. Apart from your coaching sessions, an average of 4 hours effort a day (for your reading and problem solving) should be sufficient.

The final 3 months are best left for revision, practice exams and relaxing.

JEE preparation shouldn’t be focussed just on the exam. Instead treat it like a genuine learning experience.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:34 pm
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

"Is getting into IITs difficult or easy" should be the topic of this post

got it from http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Success ... 298-1.html

Many years ago I had laughed at a statement made by my neighbour - ’’Everybody passes the JEE; the IITs have only 2000 seats which is why they select as many candidates.’’

In retrospect, I realize that her statement was not off the mark at all. Let’s get some facts right. The number of seats in the IITs has increased to about 4000 today. Since about 200,000 students write the exam in a year, this means that 98% of the candidates don’t make it. Many of the readers may not be privy to the fact that the aggregate marks of the last candidate to get through (in the merit list) hovers around 40%. Interesting! Despite all the magical coaching classes and materials, 98% of those who write the JEE score less than 40% marks!

This brings me to the question whose answer has long been taken for granted by all. Is the JEE difficult? Of course, some would say. May be. The JEE may be difficult in the sense that the average marks of a set of students in a JEE paper may be less than the average marks of the same set of students in any other paper of the same subject. But in a competitive exam, does that really matter? Hilarious as it may sound, two years back at a JEE centre, after the Math paper, I heard a parent complain about the fact that that year’s total marks was 60, as compared to the 100 in previous years.

They say if you are serious about the JEE then you must join this classes, do this course, read these books, solve these questions - the list just doesn’t seem to end. Fifteen years ago, there were no coaching classes for the JEE. There were a couple of postal programs which were believed to suffice. Preparing for two years was unheard of. Even today, how many locations in semi-urban India have coaching for the JEE? I was talking to an AIR 7th ranker from some place in Jharkhand. There were no coaching classes at his place. As for postal courses, he simply could not afford them. He only read some good books.

Some would argue that this is a one-in-a-million case. Perhaps. But that should not stop us from asking a pertinent question - Do preparatory programs for the JEE add value? If yes, then how much value? A certain ABC classes in Delhi has excellent reputation in this field. So much that it conducts its own entrance test for taking in students for the program. And guess what? Almost all of Delhi’s JEE aspirants appear for this test. They get to choose the best of the lot. Is it then any wonder that they also get excellent results?

Now, let us evaluate the kind of people who are in the coaching industry (barring some exceptions). Most of these people who get to teach for the programs have never qualified the JEE themselves. One must remember that the question papers in the JEE are created by a rather robust process by some of the best subject people in this world. It is not easy to follow their example, to put it mildly. Yet, you hardly find a coaching institute or a postal program that doesn’t claim to be an expert in the JEE.

In conclusion, let us understand some simple facts. The syllabus of the JEE is no different from the scores of syllabii followed by as many boards in this country. The Physics or Math in JEE is no different from what these boards also cover. The JEE is unique in the sense that it never asks a direct question - in fact all its questions since the first time it was conducted in 1961 are designed to test understanding of concepts.

Unless students are clear about these fundamentals, no amount of coaching or problem solving will help. It is far better to read a few good books, and do a few quality problems that enhance your understanding than to get in the rut of doing Irodovs of the world. Has it ever occured to anybody that the JEE might be all about the process of natural selection?

Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:36 pm
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

12 tips for success in JEE - A nice compilation from some one. looks like he has gathered various points from different articles and prepared a nice compilation. anyways thanks to him too...

another one from www.mouthshut.com

1. Accuracy takes the front seat in JEE new pattern as examiner is not going to see your approach but is only going to see your final answer.
2. The primary emphasis is on depth of knowledge,
analytical and comprehension skills and attitude.
3. If you are a class 11’th/12’th student, try to synergise your school study with the JEE study. While doing a new topic, always do it first from your school textbook followed by higher level books.
4. Even if JEE paper does become a bit easier, it may be good idea to prepare according to a tough paper. By following this approach, you can take care of both the tough and the relatively simple paper.
5. The method of preparation is changed a bit. Now apart from in-depth knowledge of the subject you need to be familiar with new types of questions that are designed to replace the requirement of subjective test. In this scenario, it would be wise to expose yourself to new types of questions.
6. Part-marking is no longer there. Hence writing all steps may be a waste of time. However the schooling system may require you to write all the steps. Hence, you will have to adopt different approaches for both the exams.
7. Self Study Plan: School Students: A student going to the school should follow the 4/10 plan, that is self-study for at least 4 hrs. on school days and at least 10 hrs. on holidays. There must be a 7 day or 10 day revision plan as well. 12’th Pass Students: A student not going to the school should follow the 10 hrs. plan, that is self-study for at least 10 hrs. everyday. There must be a 7 day or 10 day revision plan as well.
8. It is more important to do a question completely rather than trying to do more half-done questions.
9. JEE 2006 aspirants need to put themselves under test conditions once a week to get accustomed. Note that too much of test taking does not help. Only a deep understanding and other personal attributes can get you through JEE and not blind test taking. The frequency of test taking may be less for JEE 2007 aspirants in class 11’th but needs to be higher when they reach class 12’th.
10. Do approximations in calculations keeping an eye on the error.
11. It may be a good idea to solve some puzzles in your spare time.
12. In objective type of questions, method of elimination of options may work to your advantage in many questions. Using dimensional analysis, putting boundary conditions, putting values of variables, working backwards and many more techniques may work in such scenario.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next