Remember me: 
Signin using your Gmail or Yahoo account signin using google or yahoo

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
IIT JEE toppers interviews and tips 
myEngg Lieutenant Colonel
myEngg Lieutenant Colonel

Post Re: IIT JEE toppers interviews and tips
in the midst of Advices to IIT Aspirants, one small hello to neversaydie:

Dude, you rock! what else can I say. I'll make sure that there will be a link to these posts from home page. and you deserve a salute from the home page. hatsoff on behalf of the myengg community for the good work.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:49 pm
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

A general piece of advice: another set of success mantras from

• Revise whatever you have learnt thoroughly as the questions will be asked from almost all the topics.

• Do not learn new topics in the last phase of your preparation.

• Synchronize your study hours with that of the actual timing of the examinations. Make sure that you are studying at those hours.

• READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE PAPER EXTREMELY CAREFULLY.

• Don’t try to solve the entire paper!

• Choose the questions you are going to solve judiciously. Give about 5–6 minutes in the beginning of the exam for this purpose.

• Do not adopt a desultory approach. Give enough (but not too much) time for the solution.

• While giving the final answer, go back to the question and see what is exactly being asked.

• Never leave the final answer of a numerical problem in an uncomputed form otherwise you will lose some marks for the things you know very well. Normally students are used to do it. In JEE a difference of merely one mark may mar your all India rank by even 100 positions.

• Take a few national level tests by enrolling in a test series of a reputed institute.

• After every test, analyze your performance or get it analyzed by an expert. This will help you identify your weaknesses. Never read the solution impatiently if you fail to workout a problem rather give your mind a sufficient drill to tone it up to a level whereby you could be able to explore some unstated facts and facets of science. It will boost up your confidence level also.

• Do not hanker after a number of books. Just one or two books of good quality are sufficient.

• Condition your mind to consider the examination as an opportunity to show your excellence and never let the sense of panic come in your mind as there is no much differences between the topper and a normal sincere JEE aspirants as regard to subject knowledge. It’s the difference of mental preparation, which plays the magic.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:48 pm
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

straight interview from

IITJEE 2005 topper

A calm and composed boy, inculcated with values of honesty and determination helped Piyush in getting a top rank In IITJEE 2005.
His fascination towards computers made him choose computer science at IIT Kanpur.
He intends to complete his degree in computer science and continue his higher studies.
Additionally he aims of becoming a member of scientific groups such as ISRO, DRDO, and C-DAC.

Name: Piyush Srivastava

No of hour’s studies every day: 6 to 8 hours

Other achievements: Olympiad winner, Aditya Birla scholar

Which course at IIT: computer science

Which IIT? : IIT Kanpur

Hobbies: computers

Aim in life: Wants to be a researcher in field of computer science

Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:48 pm
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

straight interview from IITJEE 2006 topper

Brought up and schooled in Chandigarh, Raghu developed a passion towards academics right from school days.
With mathematics being his favorite subject, he loves reading texts written by famous mathematicians.
After scoring a top rank in IITJEE 2006 he decided to take up computer science.
He wishes to learn advanced programming which will help him in his research work .
He aspires to do doctorate in physics and then as a research scientist in Institute of advanced studies, Princeton.

Name: Raghu Mahajan

No of hour’s studies every day: 7 to 8 hours

Other achievements: Olympiad winner, Aditya Birla scholar

Which course at IIT: Computer science

Which IIT? : IIT Delhi

Hobbies: watching cricket, computers, net surfing for educational
purpose

Aim in life: Wants to be a physics researcher

Shocking fact about Raghu Mahajan: completed his class 12th syllabus in 10th it

Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:50 pm
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

IITJEE 2008 topper

Shitikanth, student from Bihar topped IITJEE 2008.He studied for 2 years to crack this JEE and scored 91.4 % in 12th CBSE Board exam.
He says that students should keep a flexible schedule and give equal importance to all the 3 subjects.
After his 10th STD he moved to Kota for further preparation.

Name: Shitikanth

No of hour’s studies every day: 6 to 7 hours

Other achievements: Olympiad gold medalist, Aditya Birla scholar

Which course at IIT: computer science

Which IIT? : IIT Kanpur

Hobbies: computers

Aim in life: Research in physic

Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:53 pm
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

another one from a IITIAN 2009, I found on the net:

HOW I GOT SELECTED IN IIT –JEE 2009

While this morning I came to know that I have got into IIT with AIR -156 “the same me “ was praying to get into top 4000 or even 3999 few days before the exam. Since I have too many advices to give so I’ll better cut down the above story.

Well I have summarised the topics below which need to be followed for a good rank .Since most of you are interested in knowing my mistakes and strength let me start with it.

A: MY FATAL ERROR (DON’T REPEAT IT)

1 : Started my studies in the september of class 11. Indeed I was trapped in T.I.M.E. coaching of lucknow. We use to call it. (TIME : Tum Iit Mein jaa ke dikhao ). Well first year I did only physics that was my blunder. I should have done inorganic chem in the summers…….

ALL myengg.com IN CLASS 11 ….CONSIDER IT AS AN ADVICE OR WHATEVER BUT PLEASE DO THE INORGANIC CHEM IN CLASS 11…..PRESENTLY IT IS SUMMER AND DO IT NOW AFTER READING IT.

2 : well another error was that I left the following topics

Trigonometry(whole )

Permutation and combination

S,p,d and f block groups in inorganic

Very weak at stereochemistry….I never understood why light turns due to chirality.

Carbohydrates(50%)

Chemistry in everyday life.

3 : doubted my chemistry teacher’s talent in the beginning…..so never paid attention to what he taught intially . So TRUST YOUT TEACHER.

4 : LATE COMPLETION OF SYLLABUS. Syllabus completed on 10th April, 2009.

5 : Very IRREGULAR IN HOMEWORK……HARLDY DID THEM…..MOST OF MY WORK ARE PENDING EVEN TILL NOW.

Well those 155 students infront of me hadn’t committed the above blunders. If you want to be like them then don’t repeat it.

I hope that’s it……..now my strength.

STRENGTH (Follow it )

1 : was good in physics. Qualified NSEP 2009…………

Physics was my Brahmastra….when you have one chapter strong then you can say “ However tough may be the paper…..ye to kari leinge.

BUT NOT AT THE COST OF DESRTUCTION OF OTHER SUBJECT. All chapters need to be upto the mark but one should be much more above the mark…..

YOU SHOULD ALL HAVE ONE CHAPTER AS SOLID HARD

2 : GOOD EXAM TEMPERAMENT : Well about 1 year ago I was reading an article written by I guess Astatine..........He told me some tricks to overcome the exam stress……He told me to do some calculation so as to keep your thoughts arrested in studies……There are people who can solve qs at home but can’t do them in exam….well my friend “ THIS STRESS IS A PART OF EXAM”. Be a man don’t be afraid and once you enter the hall behave as you know the most.

3 : METHOD OF STUDIES : Well my method was very different which I must share. I used to give a LOT of stress on theory…….I used to do lot of research……once I wasn’t able to understand the Ohm’s law…….then you know what I did. I opened the pdf file containing those pages where Sir George Simon Ohm first derived the law in 1826.(I hope you understood what I am trying to convey)

This creates so much enthusiasm that books become your friend. I am giving you a table of chapters and the time given by me to them.

CAPACITOR : 1 month

Isaac Newton’s law : 2 month

ElectroMagnetic induction : 1 month (this chapter was my favourite )

Conics : 2 months

Function : 2 months

Electrochemistry : 1 month

Thermodynamcis : 3 months

Well that’s my strength………

B : ANY CORRESPONDENCE AND TEST SERIES

Well I took the correspondence of Brilliant Tutorial YG FILE…..and their FST . They were amazing and correct upto to IIT level in contrast to unncesarily tough FITJEE series. The YG FILE is excellent and must have.

Besides this my father also brought the Correspondence of Vidyamandir but it had remained in my cupboard ever since its arrival. To be frank it wasn’t good……

C:WHICH BOOK TO CHOOSE

There are number of books in market and everyone follows some new pattern. Some prefer to have imported/high level books to hold in hand infront of their friends and show them how tough matter they study ( you will all notice such guys very soon) . No doubt IIT is a mind-game. Well I will better summarise the books used by me and comments…….

Books | comments

Physics :

1 : HCV (both) compulsory

2 : Resnick and Halliday must have it is better than HCV in few chapters

but in general use HCV is much better

3 : Irodov good one, sharpens your analytical skill and

thinking speed plus takes you to a good level of qs

. Spare those qs which require unncesarily maths.

Must for olympiad.

4 : Arihant objective for developing speed……I hope they are updating

the qs this year. Well you can refer to it but it is

not mandatory to complete it……….

5 : Beer and Jhonston reference in mechanics.

(statics and dynamics)

6 : Arihant olympiad physics reference

CHEMISTRY

PHYSICAL

1 : Arihant good book almost compulsory

2 : physical chemistry excellent again must have

By A k Pandit

3 : RCM if you can

3 : ABC If buy a book for board this is the one

4 : K L Kapoor reference in Electrochemistry(the toughest one)

INORGANIC

1 : NCERT MUST

2 : Inorganic by deepak for detailed Inorganic

Sharma

3 : ABC reference

ORGANIC

1 : Morrison and Boyd reference

2 : I L Finar reference

WARNING : donot try to complete the above book of organic. They will take your 6-8 months mere reading. Pick them up for specific mechanism or query which haven’t been explained well by your teacher.

MATHEMATICS

ALGEBRA

1 : S K Goyal must

TRIGONOMETRY

1 : Arihant must

2 : S. L. Loney if you can ……..reference

CALCULUS

2 : book by Anurag sorry government has put a ban on it….but I reserve

Trivedi one

COORDINATE AND VECTOR AND 3D

2 : S L Loney reference(don’t do it if you have eyesight problem)

D:WHICH COACHING INSTITUTE

Even though I had not studied in KOTA I think I would have made it to top 100 or even top 50 if I had gone to the same. The biggest enemy were TIME and DEPRESSION. If you aren’t afraid of them be ready…..you all get depressed from time to time and say “ Hell with IIT I ain’t going there…I better do ITI .“

TIME is yet another problem……I had to do inorganic superficially in 10 days………..a very hard time ..very hard indeed.

WHAT IF YOU HAVE DEPOSITED YOUR MONEY AND WANT OT CHANGE THE INSTITUTE

How much money have you deposited 20,000…..50,000 or say 1-2 lac. Let me tell you that is what you will earn on doing IIT in 1 month…….Let not money decide your course specially in tight situation like class 11 and 12.

Well another thing if YOU HADN’T JOINED ANY BIG COACHING then don’t be depressed I wasn’t in Kota , fitjje etc myself…….But Let me tell you doing coaching is good….

POINTS TO BE KEPT IN MIND WHILE CHOOSING COACHING

1 : coaching shouldn’t have more than 60 children in 1 class…..however smart may be the teacher

2 : have faith in your teacher don’t say “ He knows nothing .” Try to cope up with him and if you can’t continue LEAVE IMMEDIATELY.

Etc……….you can get more at many more places…let me tell you some rare things.

E: STRATEGY FOR CLEARING IIT

1 : BE OPTIMISTIC…..try to find the better half of everything.If you know less you know solid hard than anything……Like I left many chapters, when my friend asked me how will you compete with those in KOTA who have done the syllabus 3-4 months before the BIG DAY.

To him I replied “ They know more so they will attempt more qs so less time per qs so more error and lesser marks .”

That’s what happened…..I never glanced at those qs during the exam. Let me give you a small look of how I gave the IIT JEE 2009.

My experience of the BIG DAY – 9:00am -12:00pm

Well as soon as I saw the paper I started with the PHYSICS PORTION(my strength). I nearly solved the easy qs at the intial rate of 1 qs per 1 min…….

Order : comprehension -single correct – multiple – matrix (at last always)

REMEMBER THERE IS A DISEASE OF RECHECKING EVERY QS. IT WILL APPEAR TO YOU THAT PREVIOUS QS WAS WRONG. BUT IT IS NOT. NEVER RECHECK A QS IN IIT……..UNTIL THE PAPER IS OVER.

The maths was tough…….but I was good as finding(the only quality that I admire in myself) out which qs I can solve quickly. I bombarded those qs of vector and 3d but was unable to solve the qs of complex and trigo.

The last 3 hours

The last paper was easy….as soon as I saw the subjective part I did all the subjective qs of all the three portions .

Physics – chemistry – maths

Then came the single correct…..and last the matrix and multiple.

REMEMBER IF A QS IS LENGTHY IT IS LENGTHY FOR OTHERS AS WELL……..

Well as soon as you will get the paper you should get lost in the paper…….but some small points to be kept in mind.

Small points

1 : do the bubbling correctly. Solve a qs and bubble qucikly. Don’t bubble in the end because as soon as you will hear that 5 min are left you will get nervous and mark wrongly.

2 : check the code and write the name and Reg no carefully. If you are like me who has terrible vomiting problem in stressed condition then better take a light appetite and carry some glucose with you.

To be frank I can go like this since I love to give tips and advice more will follow since now I have no work but to help people on myengg.com………….

To give it an end for the day…….remember the above tips…….bookmark it if it is lengthy but follow it……………..A BRIGHT FUTURE AWAITS YOU .

Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:51 am
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

Tips from another IITIAN. Safir has just graduated from IIT-Kanpur and has a passion to help others clear the highly cpmpetitive IIT-JEE exam.

source of the article: http://www.biharanjuman.org/IIT-JEE_success_tips.htm

1. First prepare yourselves mentally for IIT-JEE

"The success is to be achieved", keeping this in mind the aspirants must accept themselves as deserving candidates for JEE success because during preparation confidence plays an important role. Be Self Confident, I would like to cite a quotation of Mahatma Gandhi,

"Men often become what they believe themselves to be, if I believe I cannot do something, it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe I can then I acquire the ability to do it even if I didn't have in the beginning."
2. Do continuous effort

IIT-JEE preparation requires continuous effort. Each subject must be given proper and regular time. Instead of preparing one subject for some days then other subjects, all the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry and (Mathematics) must be given time each day. It also helps in breaking monotony.
3. Have proper guidance

In today's competitive era, proper guidance is needed for success. The pattern of JEE has become concept based completely. So you need clear and doubtless concepts in each and every topic, to achieve a good rank in JEE.
4. Prepare Good Notes

Prepare good notes during attending lectures or self study. If you want to make the concept more clear while preparing notes of lectures leave some space and just after lecture fill up the space with clarification.
5. Do regular revision

Apportion proper time for each subject. The approach should be balanced. After systematically understanding the concepts practice relevant problems to consolidate the topic.
6. Check yourself regularly

Do complete your studies by the end of January (All the three papers should be completed by the end of January or at most by the mid February), and try to give as many tests as you can. Joining test series program is not a bad idea. After each test evaluate yourself. Try to find out your weak areas, and then do research on those weak areas. Believe me; this will help you a lot.

For more information, one can get in touch with me at my email id safir14@gmail.com. [Safir has just graduated from IIT-Kanpur and has a passion to help others clear the highly cpmpetitive IIT-JEE exam.]

Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:15 pm
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

daily routine of a aspirant who got AIR 5817

My secret of IIT success

daily get up 4 30 in morning do meditation by revising maths shortcut tips .brushing ..etc.,5 15 -9 00 without

break Maths RD sharma and ML khana same topic refer in two books.prepare a important note from two

books.dont hesitate to write a small point.write everything...9 00 to 10 00 full brk tiffin nd bath..now start

freshly 10 15-1 00 read chemistry organic only only only 1-2 30 pm eatigng an take rest..from 2 30 try to

solve problamatic only from HC verma and refer many books(focus more on it)as in myengg.com if u dono..upto 5

00(monday,tue,wed)and in thur fri saturday(do only problem in ml khana and rd sharma)sunday revise

everything...and from 5 -5 45 do exercise and start at 6 15 -8 00 sharp try reading chemistry groups and 8-

8 45 do stiochiometry and gaseous state probz(dont neglect)(not only that)(do some problamatic except

organic probz)eat at 9 again start art 10-11 do su do ko alternate days and in another days try to write

formulaes and previous IIT papers

it might be helpful

njoy

i got AIR 5817

even though i am not gn try to get below 3000.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:41 pm
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

From 2006 Topper:

SOURCE : http://entrance-corner.blogspot.com/">http://entrance-corner.blogspot.com/

Here Raghu Mahajan, IITJEE 2006 topper provides a of books which helped him clear JEE and also win the International Olympiad. Please read it carefully.

The Biggest General Advice from the Topper
DO NOT IGNORE NCERT BOOKS.

These books are very important for IITJEE and other exams since they act as a concept building machine.
NCERT books are written by some prominent professors of India and not by some tuition wallahs.
Please read the text and all exercises. They should be your primary books for all subjects.

The Blacklist of Publishers.

If you are reading these books
Dinesh, Moderns ABC, Krishna, Gupta and Gupta, Pradeeps (Refer Pradeep for chilarity, and other organic concepts)
Then you are not on the right track. These books are complete trash and should not be read by any one.

Here are some books which I followed. These books are also available on http://entrance-corner.blogspot.com/ for free. So try them out.

PHYSICS

* NCERT (read the text and then solve the problems from exercise)

* Resnick and Halliday's theory is also good enough for beginners

* For tougher problems, you can refer D.C. Pandey (Arihant) problems, but never look at their solutions.

* Concepts of Physics by H.C Verma (Two volumes. Do only problems. Do not read the text)

* Schaum's 3000 Solved problems is Physics by Alvin Halpern

* Problems in General Physics by I.E. Irodov (that book will make you fall in love)

* University Physics by Freedman and Young

For Advanced studies (Olympiad, Higher JEE level)

* Mechanics by Kleppner and Kolenkow

* 200 Solved problems in Physics by W.G. Rees, Cambridge University Press

* Electromagnetism by D.J. Griffiths

* Heat and Thermodynamics by Zemansky and Dittman

CHEMISTRY

* NCERT (read the text and then solve the problems from exercise)

* Chemical Principles: a quest for Insight by Peter Atkins

* Organic Chemistry by Solomon’s and Frhyle

* Inorganic Chemistry by J.D. Lee (Do only things that are in the syllabus)

* Qualitative Inorganic Analysis by Vogel (Do only things that are in the syllabus)

MATHEMATICS

* Higher Algebra by Hall and Knight (you need to buy that since its not available online.Dont worry it’s very cheap)

* Trigonometry by S.L Loney

* Coordinate Geometry by S.L. Loney

* Calculus by Thomas and Finney

* Problems in Calculus of One Variable by I.A. Maron

* A Course in Mathematics for IIT-JEE by Tata Mc-Graw Hill. (Not available on online. Better buy it .Older editions that contains subjective questions are preferred)

Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:45 pm
myEngg Generalissimo
myEngg Generalissimo

NICE TIPS FROM IITIAN:

3 points which led me to JEE AIR 371 and AIEEE AIR 215:

1)Inquisitive mind: Ask questions on everything. Keep on asking. Until you get a feel that you know each and every point, subtle and others, dont stop questioning. Question yourself and not just your teacher. Try finding answer yourself and then discuss with your teacher.This is where a good teacher really shows his true self. If you dont have good teachers ask it on web. Some foreign websites have excellent forums. Use google.But dont waste time on net.Keep discussing with friends too, dont be scared to blurt something stupid, if you do then say why you said that. Its all about enjoying what you do.

2)Quality study: Chuck books like ABC, Pradeep.Foreign authors are preferable, though there are some great Indian authors like HCV. Buy books related to subject and not related to examinations.Introduction to Electrodynamics by DJ Griffith , Chemical Principles by Atkins & Jones , A Path to Combinatorics for Undergraduates by Titu Andrescuu are some examples.Ofc no need to read everything but read as much as you can grasp. You wont find them in regular book stores. I got the ebooks and you should too. DO good questions, dont do repeated questions, if you already know what is needed to be done in a particular question better leave it and move onto other which lets you think and not calculate.When you do a question while studying , try to think how you would have approached it during an exam.Think about the points which led you to the solution. A question doesnt end after its answer, its just half the work.

3)Open mind and confidence: Dont expect questions that you already know to come in exams, expect the unexpected. Have the confidence to face unknown questions.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next